marcomanganiello

⚣ MM Does MM ⚣

Review: "Stygian" by Santino Hassell

Stygian - Santino Hassell

"Feeling safe is nothing more than a state of mind."

Translation: if you keep staying in a hunted house for WEEKS while experiencing more than a dozen terrifying things, then your state of mind = YOU ALL ARE DIMWITS!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Santino Hassell is a great writer, but he should stay away from the m/m romance genre.

How this book could even remotely be considered a romance novel is beyond me. 2 or 3 sex scenes don't make a romance if the MCs treat each other like shit 99% of the time. And so does not a weak and tentative HFN (Hassell's trademark it seems).

That being said, I also don't think that horror is this author's genre either. Because scary this was not. Predictable and drawn-out, yes. But frightening? Nuh-uh.

Unless you've never read a single paranormal book in your life, THEN this old-fashioned gothic horror story might actually scare you. Or if you're a fan of H.P. Lovecraft.

But to a modern horror fiction lover like me, the paranormal aspect of this book just felt outdated and antiquated.

So once again, Santino Hassell's great writing skills save another book from being a complete bust. So 3 stars it is, despite my complete lack of enjoyment.