marcomanganiello

⚣ MM Does MM ⚣

Review: "Evenfall" (In the Company of Shadows, #1) by Sonny & Ais

— feeling tired
Evenfall - Ais, Santino Hassell

(Note: The following review has been provided with pretty ICoS fan art to soothe the fans.)

I MADE IT!

It took me two whole weeks to get through this 1427-page-long (!) fucker of a book, but I finally made it.

And I'm afraid that it was... not really worth it. Sorry, guys.

You know how some TV shows consist of 24-episodes seasons where most of the episodes are just fillers? You feel like the premise of that show is quite good, but it would have benefitted if it were only 10 or 12 episodes, because the storyline would have been tighter and more compelling? This book just felt like that.

Or in a nutshell: this book was too frigging LONG!

Now, I am well aware that I've read the original version and there are two edited DCs out there. But even so, these DCs also consist of 334, respectively 344 pages which is STILL to long IMO. Because not much really happens besides inner monologues, repetitions, a lot of completely unnecessary scenes and chapters, and more inner monologues. The whole story could have easily been told in just 300 or 400 pages.

But one thing at a time.

The writing

There were just too much unnecessary paragraphs, scenes, hell even whole chapters. Stuff that added nothing to the overall story, but went on and on and on. Just two examples (believe me, there's more):

• Why do I have to read an entire chapter about how Boyd is giving training lessons to Ryan? In full excruciating details! That whole chapter was completely unnecessary and pointless. And remember that when I say "chapter", we're talking 30-60 pages here.

• Or why do I need to get a full technical explanation about how a GPS equipment is supposed to function? An explanation that - again - went on for pages after pages after pages?

And don't get me started on the repetitiveness of certain terms or whole events. Sin's "green eyes" will be hunting me for weeks.

The characters

Boyd's and Sin's behavior was so contradictory at times that I felt like the authors had two different characters in mind while they wrote the book. Both were like these two super spies one minute and then total imbeciles the next.

Boyd was supposed to be this natural and tactical pro when it came to analyze and plan how to infiltrate a hostile compound, but then he turns into a complete idiot when he's confronted with an ordinary oven (!):

"Standing back and staring blankly at the glass, he realized he had no idea what it meant to preheat. Obviously he heated it prior to something, but to what? Placing the food inside presumably. But if that was the case, how in the world did he know when it reached the appropriate temperature? Was it important that it was exactly on that degree? If he left it heating long enough, would it heat over 300° or did it have some sort of failsafe that cut off the heat producing agent at the correct time to keep it only at that temperature?"

Dude, seriously?

Sin, on the other hand, felt jealous about Boyd and Ryan's friendship or if anyone else touched Boyd, but then he goes and outright offers Boyd to another couple for a threesome:

"Johnny smirked and bobbed his head in time to the music which was still blaring over the loudspeakers. “Let’s have a farewell three-way, just you, me and the kid. Whaddaya say? In the private rooms, you know? Hot shit.”

Sin snorted and looked away, letting his gaze roam over to the spectacle his coworkers made on the dance floor as they talked loudly and danced excitedly, like children who’d just gotten out of school early. “You’re not my type. Feel free to make the offer to him though.”

*facepalms himself unconscious*

The "romance"

Friends, let's not even go there. Lemme just say that I love me some UST in my books. But there's only so much that even I am willing to tolerate before it becomes annoying, frustrating and yes, utterly ridiculous.

Boyd's and Sin's back and forth got to the point where I completely stopped caring about their relationship. By the time they finally did the dirty (and in a very disappointing and unsatisfying scene at that), I was already over them as a couple. Add to that the most unromantic declaration of love that I have EVER read in a romance novel, and you could stick a fork in me, because I was D.O.N.E.

Nevertheless, I will continue with the series, because of the following reasons:

1. I really liked the last 30% when the pace of the story finally began to pick up, I got some action and something was finally happening. That part was suspenseful, exciting and thrilling. I was glued to my Kindle and I wanted to know what would happen next. So I'm crossing my fingers that this will set the tone for the rest of the series.

2. With the annoying UST out of the picture (and Boyd and Sin finally fucking), I hope there's more focus on the missions and the action and the overall story. Because I want to know more about the Agency and Janus.

3. RYAN! Love him, adore him, want to cuddle him. He's my favorite character and he stole every scene that he was in. I want to know more about him and I definitely want more of him and Andrew.

So would I recommend this book? Probably not. Maybe if you're an avid reader and you're reading hundreds of books per year, then you could give this one a chance. But if you don't have that much time to read and can only read every now and then, then you're probably better off reading 5-6 average long books instead.