⚣ MM Does MM ⚣

Review: "Olive Juice" by TJ Klune

Olive Juice - T.J. Klune

"One thing that they don't tell you is that fires can't burn bright forever."

All the reviews for this book are like "OMG, I'm a blubbering mess." and "OMG, don't read any spoilers.".

So yeah, you REALLY shouldn't read any spoilers and just go along for the ride.

But there are two things that I just want to point out anyway:

1. TJ Klune has always been a great writer, but he outdid himself with this one. The writing quality is excellent, and given the heaviness of the story, it was beautiful, tasteful and one of the best-written books I've ever read.

2. Since everyone is recommending to avoid spoilers at any costs and go in blindly, I still feel like this book could have used a trigger warning, given the main target of M/M readers:

Trigger warning: abduction of a family member, with no final conclusion or explanation to the disappearance or the whereabouts

(show spoiler)

So while a romance this is NOT, the writing and the revelation of bits of information a little at a time totally worked for me. This has been one of the darkest and most depressing books I've ever read. But I'm glad that I did, because not everything in life is just rainbows, kittens and sunshine.

Oh, and just to be clear: there's a tentative HFN, so this can still be considered as a romance. Though just barely.

Thanks to Elsbeth and Cinna MMon for the BR.